What You Can Do
Concerned about someone?
- When you're alone and not rushed
- Ask if they're thinking about ending their life
- Be respectful and caring
- Learn more about what to say: See Know the Signs >
If They Say Yes
- Help them remove guns, pills or other means
- Call with them:
- VCBH Crisis & Referral Line: 1-866-998-2243
- Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 988
- Go with them to mental health services or an emergency room
- Do not leave them alone
- Check in regularly.
Studies show that staying connected with someone who cares makes a difference.
- Support them in creating a safety plan.
- Learn more about safety plans: See Suicide Prevention Lifeline >
Learn How to Help
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Suicide prevention resources
Know the Signs
Learn the warning signs – Find the words – Reach out
safeTALK Suicide Alertness Classes
Free, 3-hour training sessions for schools
Click here to learn more.
Is anyone in immediate danger?
Call 911 and ask for a CIT Officer.
Are you feeling suicidal or in despair?