Parents Are Role Models
What is a Role Model?
A role model is someone a child aspires to be and therefore imitates. A parent can be a child’s role model by taking care of their own well-being.
Children need adults to look up to and parents that teach them healthy habits. If you create an atmosphere of healthy living in your family’s home, your children will be happier and healthier.
BEING A ROLE MODEL FOR YOUR CHILDREN
Quit smoking and moderate your use of alcohol.
Hand washing: Be sure to wash your hands often, especially after you sneeze or cough and always before you cook or eat.
Demonstrate household safety:
- Handling electric cords
- Wearing protective gloves and goggles, face masks, and ear plugs when necessary
- Handling sharp objects
Obey traffic laws:
- Drive safely.
- Teach your children how to be safe as a pedestrian.
Plan for emergencies:
- Practice family fire drills.
- Discuss family contact information in case of emergency.
- Know emergency phone numbers such as 911 and poison control.
- Talk about earthquake safety and family plans for handling other natural disasters.
Use negotiation and problem-solving skills at home and at work:
- Encourage respect and openness among siblings and adults in your home.
- Teach your children to express themselves clearly.
- It is important for children to learn how to ask for what they want and need.