DID YOU KNOW?
- Older men die by suicide at a rate that is more than 7x higher than that of older women.
- The incidence of suicide is particularly high among older, white males.
- Older women may also be at risk for suicide, especially if lonely or dealing with chronic pain.
IS SOMEONE YOU KNOW AT RISK?
Risk factors for older adults include:
- Recent death of a loved one
- Physical illness, disability, or pain
- Isolation and loneliness
- Major life changes, such as retirement
- Loss of independence
- Loss of sense of purpose
Know the Signs
- Talking about wanting to die or having no reason to live
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as buying a gun
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Saying goodbye or giving away possessions
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Displaying extreme mood swings